Featured Post

Skiffy and Fanty Blog is Back!

(Scroll down to Updates for my latest reviews posted on the Skiffy and Fanty blog!)  I joined the crew of the Skiffy and Fanty Show, a blog ...

Monday, April 6, 2020

Roundup of my podcasts in 2019-20

2019 was a very busy year for me, so this is a very belated roundup of my podcast activities released that year. I am also including my podcasts from 2020 so far.

First of all, I appeared on Storium Arc, the podcast that discusses various aspects of Storium.com, the online storytelling game. It's sort of like a role-playing game without dice, or like a round-robin writing game. Usually a host/narrator sets up a world/conflicts, and players/writers take turns saying what their characters do and feel. I've been a member since 2016 and have written more than 49,000 words in various vignettes.
One game that I completed in November 2018, originally titled Vampires Vs. Marines but later retitled The Twilight War, was picked as the original Arc-eology podcast, a subcast of Storium Arc that focuses on specific games/stories. The podcast hosts Chris, Mickey and Zachary interviewed host Tacronicus (Jim Sebastian), me and fellow writers TimWB (Tim) and Swede (David):
http://storiumarc.com/episode/arc-eology-twilight-war/
Content warning: graphic violence and deaths

I continued being one of the Skiffy and Fanty crew and co-hosts. The Skiffy and Fanty Show was one of the six finalists for the 2019 Hugo Award for Best Podcast! I went to Ireland and met some of the crew in person instead of just over the Internet! It was amazing! I didn't get a trophy, but I got a shiny rocket pin and an exclusive dinner, and sat in the auditorium for the awards show and clapped for the winners!
https://skiffyandfanty.com/announcements/2019hugoawardthanks/
The nomination was for 2018 episodes, of course.

Here are the Skiffy and Fanty episodes that I appeared on in 2019:
https://skiffyandfanty.com/podcasts/356lookingbackmovingforward/
I couldn't make it to the scheduled recording, but I sent them a voice clip with my thoughts.
https://skiffyandfanty.com/podcasts/readingrangers9memory/
Discussion of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosiverse book "Memory" with Paul Weimer, Alex Acks, Kate Sherrod and my sister, Sarah Elkins!
https://skiffyandfanty.com/podcasts/358alasdairstuartmargueritekenner/
Jen Zink and I interview Alasdair Stuart and Marguerite Kenner, the CEO and COO of the Escape Artists podcast group (Escape Pod, Podcastle, Pseudopod, and Cast of Wonders.
https://skiffyandfanty.com/podcasts/readingrangersshorts4mexicanxanthology/
Brandon O'Brien, Daniel Haeusser and I discuss A Larger Reality: Speculative Fiction from the Bicultural Margins / Una realidad más amplia: Historias desde la periferia bicultural edited by Libia Brenda
https://skiffyandfanty.com/podcasts/readingrangers10komarr/
Stina Leicht, Paul Weimer and I discuss LMB's Komarr.
https://skiffyandfanty.com/podcasts/torturecinema92starcrash/
Jen Zink, Shaun Duke and I discuss Starcrash, a terrible 1978/79 movie, in a Torture Cinema episode. The torture is the badness of the movie, not anything gory.
https://skiffyandfanty.com/podcasts/readingrangers11acivilcampaign/
Kate Sherrod, Alex Acks, Stina Leicht, Paul Weimer and I discuss probably my favorite LMB Vorkosiverse book, A Civil Campaign.
https://skiffyandfanty.com/podcasts/atm80terminatordarkfate/
A lot of people, including me before this fall, preferred to act as though the Terminator saga ended with T2 or after The Sarah Connor Chronicles. But did you know that Terminator: Dark Fate, which came out this fall, was actually great? It both subverted and extended some of the mythology in ways that Alex Acks and I found incredibly pleasing! Listen to us rave!

I continued the Supergirl Supercast, reviews of The CW's Supergirl episodes.
Supergirl S4E10 Review: “Suspicious Minds” with David Schaub and Brianna Taeuber
Supergirl S4E11 Review: “Blood Memory” with David Schaub, Deanna Chapman and Sarah Elkins
Supergirl S4E13 Review: “What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?” with David Schaub
Supergirl S4E16 Review: “House of L” with David Schaub
Supergirl S4E17 Review: “All About Eve” with David Schaub and Deanna Chapman
Supergirl S4E18 Review: “Crime and Punishment” with David Schaub
Supergirl S4E19 Review: “American Dreamer” with David Schaub and Deanna Chapman
Supergirl S4E20 Review: “Will the Real Miss Tessmacher Please Stand Up?” with David Schaub
Supergirl S4E21 Review: “Red Dawn” with David Schaub and Deanna Chapman
Supergirl S4E22 Review: “The Quest for Peace” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E01 Review: “Event Horizon” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E02 Review: “Stranger Beside Me” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E03 Review: “Blurred Lines” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E04 Review: “In Plain Sight” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E05 Review: “Dangerous Liaisons” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E06 Review: “Confidence Women” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E07 Review: “Tremors” with David Schaub and Deanna Chapman
Supergirl S5E08 Review: “The Wrath of Rama Khan” with David Schaub
All of the Supercast episodes are collected here:
https://www.theincomparable.com/teevee/supergirl/

Now, I'll go ahead and start my 2020 list instead of creating a separate list right now. I may break it off in a separate post later.

I made my debut on another podcast today! The SFF Audio podcast is one that I've been listening to for quite a while. They discuss mostly classic, public domain science fiction and fantasy stories. Usually they release a book one week and have the discussion the next week, although sometimes for a short story they'll combine them for an episode. On Twitter, I mentioned my favorite obscure Edgar Rice Burroughs book, The Efficiency Expert, set in 1919 Chicago (no SFF elements). After some conversation, the host Jesse Willis invited me onto his podcast to discuss it. My Skiffy and Fanty buddy Paul Weimer joined us, along with Evan Lampe.
https://www.sffaudio.com/the-sffaudio-podcast-572-readalong-the-efficiency-expert-by-edgar-rice-burroughs/
SFF Audio packaged the Librivox reading by Delmar H. Dolbier in one convenient 5-hour podcast here:
https://www.sffaudio.com/the-sffaudio-podcast-571-audiobook-the-efficiency-expert-by-edgar-rice-burroughs/
Spoiler: I have already recorded a couple more podcasts with SFF audio!
Also, I plan to write more about The Efficiency Expert in a later post. Brief content warning for now: a few uses of objectionable language and an offscreen character death.


I have continued podcasting on Supergirl:
Supergirl S5E09 Review: “Crisis on Infinite Earths, Parts 1-3” with David Schaub
Supergirl Supercast: “Crisis on Infinite Earths, Parts 4-5” with David Schaub. Doesn't technically include a Supergirl episode, but she's in all the Crisis episodes, as part of the CW crossover.
Supergirl S5E10 Review: “The Bottle Episode” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E11 Review: “Back From the Future, Part One” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E12 Review: “Back From the Future, Part Two” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E13 Review: “It’s a Super Life” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E14 Review: “The Bodyguard” with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E15 Review: “Reality Bytes" with David Schaub
Supergirl S5E16 Review: “Alex in Wonderland” with David Schaub.
UPDATE:
We finished reviewing the coronavirus-truncated season with just two more episodes:
Supergirl S5E17 Review: "Deus Lex Machina" with David Schaub and Alan Yu
Supergirl S5E18 Review: "Immortal Kombat" with David Schaub and Alan Yu

The Skiffy and Fanty show has dialed itself back a little, so I haven't appeared in any episodes so far this year. However, I still have a Reading Rangers episode (on Winterfair Gifts) in the can, which will hopefully be released eventually.


My podcasts from 2018 are listed here:
http://whatsthewordnow.blogspot.com/2018/06/roundup-of-my-podcasts-2018.html

and my podcasts from before then are listed here:
http://whatsthewordnow.blogspot.com/2017/02/podcast-roundup.html

Also, I have read some chapters for two Librivox books:
The Child of the Moat by Ian Bernard Stoughton Holborn
(chapters 3, 14, 18, and 21)
I wrote a full blog post about it here:
http://whatsthewordnow.blogspot.com/2018/01/audiobook-child-of-moat.html

and
The Secret Power by Marie Corelli (chapters 14 and 15)

I also sang in Librivox's 13th Anniversary Song with other readers and volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about this!